Sunday, November 7, 2010

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult brings to you into the life of Emma, Theo and Jacob. Jacob suffers from Asperger's, a syndrome that falls into the spectrum of autism and had been accused of the murder of his social tutor, Jess Ogilvy. Emma, Jacob's mother, who is also a single parent, doesn't know whether to believe the cops or her own son. And Theo, being Jacob's younger brother, had to forever suffer emotionally of the role that he have to play as an elder brother, and always getting shunned down because Emma needs to focus more on Jacob.


What makes this novel a brilliant one is that Jodi Picoult was able to explore and put into exact words how each of them have felt. Instead of mundane numbers of chapters, Jodi had creatively made her characters as chapters. And apart from the fact that this book is what you would call a 'serious' and 'heart wrenching' book, it is also hilarious. I was reading this book while waiting for my friend to finish his prayers at KLCC. And in front of other people who were waiting too, I had sniggered out a laugh which most people would think that I am mad. And sure enough, after I stood up to leave, they sniggered back at me. Well, screw them.

My rating is: 4.85. So you DEFINITELY need to read this novel

No comments:

Post a Comment