Monday, March 17, 2014

Experimenting with Methods of Narration

Assalamualaikum and greetings dear Bits and Pieces readers!

Usually, authors will narrate his/her story in the first person or third person point of view throughout. I myself am using the first person narrative mode for my second book; though with a little twist. My idea is to make each chapter as a first person perspective of only one character. For example, Chapter 1 will expose readers to what one character is experiencing while Chapter 2 will tell readers what the other character is feeling.

As of now, it is quite challenging.

Firstly, each time I want to write another chapter, I must switch personalities and it is overwhelming. Imagine this: I must know how he/she feels, I have to understand the character's motivation and I need to be that character. Then when I want to start a new chapter, I must switch off the previous personality and switch on the new one. And on and on it goes until I finish the book.

Secondly, it is hard to lengthen a chapter when I allow only one character monologue. There is so much that a character can feel and experience in one chapter. To add in, I must avoid a sagging plot so over description of scenes, over romanticism and the likes are forbidden.

However, this method has its merits.

I will be able to bring my readers to the very depths of the characters' heart. My readers will be able to understand every single character; why did she do this, how did he cope with the situation, what he or she must be feeling and etc.

Moreover, I will be able to bring originality to my writings. I assumed that this will be refreshing and full of surprises for my readers. It is my hope that with this innovation in narration, my readers can engage more with my book.

Weighing between the advantages and disadvantages, I decided to continue with this experiment. After all, I pride myself for being a hard core learner so I can't help from trying something new. I must admit, I too want to grow as a writer.


You can purchase my first book, The Last Will at AmazonBarnes & Noble and other major online bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment